The digital “William Waller Survey Collection” primarily consists of large-format broadsides, maps, and surveys of the City of Baton Rouge, East and West Baton Rouge parishes, Greensburg, St. Helena, and Southeast Land Districts, and several other south Louisiana parishes, from about 1805 to 1938. Featured locations include downtown Baton Rouge, farms and plantations, suburbs, neighborhoods, LSU, and cemeteries. Other maps record structures, various tracts, rights of way, boundaries and proposed extensions, and roads. A few highlights from the Baton Rouge area include a map of old and new street names (1929), an 1809 map of what is now downtown Baton Rouge, an 1806 broadside advertising lots for sale in Beauregard Town, and a map of the State Penitentiary grounds when it was located in the capital city. The collection offers opportunities for research into map making and drafting, land tenure and settlement, local history, architecture, engineering, horticulture, and genealogy.
The work of surveyors and civil engineers William G. Waller (1813-1891) and his brother Henry Waller (1808-1854) comprise a large portion of the collection. Natives of New York and Maryland, respectively, by at least 1847 they had settled in Baton Rouge, eventually becoming surveyors for East Baton Rouge Parish. Additional surveyors, cartographers, and draftsmen also represented in the collection are Robert A. Hart, John H. Mundinger, Reiner Swart, among others.
Large-format materials included here are drawn from the larger William Waller Survey Collection, Mss. 3592, 3910, 4326.