Skip to main content



Catholic Book Store Archives

Catholic Book Store Archives

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Catholic Book Store Archives

J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans

2013



Profile Description

Creation: XML finding aid derived from Microsoft Word document.
Language: Description is in English

Overview of the Collection

Repository: Loyola University (New Orleans, La)Monroe Library
6363 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 504-864-7111
Email: archives@loyno.edu
Creator: Catholic Book Store
Title: Catholic Book Store Archives
Inclusive Dates: 1969-2012
Quantity: 4 boxes, 1.5 linear ft.
Abstract: This collection consists largely of archival materials: minutes of board meetings, financial records, and correspondence with benefactors concerning donations.
Collection No.Collection 17

System of Arrangement

Collection arranged alphabetically according to record type and then organized chronologically.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

This collection consists largely of archival materials: minutes of board meetings, financial records, and correspondence with benefactors concerning donations. These materials are arranged by year from 1969 to 2012 (except for 1970 and 1982, which are missing). The collection also includes several folders containing articles, correspondence, photos, and miscellaneous items.


Administrative/Biographical History

The Catholic Book Store opened in New Orleans on October 6, 1939 at 710 Common St. in the St. Charles Hotel. Changes in the hotel forced the bookstore to move to 350 Baronne St., where it remained until 1969 when it suffered serious damage from a fire. It then moved to 8039 Fig St., near Notre Dame Seminary.


For most of its history, The Catholic Book Store was closely identified with Florence Henderson. A 1929 graduate of the Academy of the Sacred Heart in New Orleans, Henderson founded the bookstore and owned it for over three decades. Faced with the bookstore's growing financial difficulties, in 1974 she transferred ownership to a nonprofit foundation guided by a board of lay and religious people. She continued to manage the bookstore until her retirement in 1989. She died in 1992 at the age of eighty.


Since 1939 the bookstore has been an important part of Catholic New Orleans. It was the city's first bookstore devoted to Catholic literature and has always focused on the needs of Catholic readers. In the wake of Vatican II, however, it grew more ecumenical, carrying more literature associated with other religions.


This collection consists largely of archival materials-minutes of board meetings, fmancial records, and correspondence with benefactors concerning donations. These materials are arranged by year from 1969 to 2012 (except for 1970 and 1982, which are missing). The collection also includes several folders containing articles, correspondence, photos, and miscellaneous items.



Restrictions

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission must be obtained from Special Collections & Archives and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Item], Catholic Book Store Archives, Collection 17, Special Collections & Archives, J. Edgar & Louise S. Monroe Library, Loyola University, New Orleans.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK