Skip to main content



Guy Bernard Collection of Loyola University New Orleans College of Music Productions

Guy Bernard Collection of Loyola University New Orleans College of Music Productions

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Guy Bernard Collection of Loyola University New Orleans College of Music Productions

J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans

2013



Profile Description

Creation: Machine-readable finding aid derived from Microsoft Word
2013
Finding aid prepared by Katie Kuhl Rivet, Special Collections & Archives, J. Edgar and Louis S. Monroe Library, Loyola University New Orleans,
Language: Description is in English

Overview of the Collection

Repository: Loyola University (New Orleans, La)Monroe Library
6363 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Phone: 504-864-7111
Email: archives@loyno.edu
Creator: Bernard, Guy
Title: Guy Bernard Collection of Loyola University New Orleans College of Music Productions
Inclusive Dates: 1922-1974
Quantity: 4 boxes, 3 linear ft.
Abstract: The collection consists primarily of scrapbooks containing programs from various Loyola University New Orleans College of Music productions during the latter half of the 20th century.
Collection No.Collection 39

System of Arrangement

The scrapbooks are arranged chronologically where dates are known. Many of the programs contained within each scrapbook cover overlapping dates.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The collection consists primarily of scrapbooks containing programs from various Loyola University New Orleans College of Music productions during the latter half of the 20th century. The collection also contains several photographs.


Administrative/Biographical History

The New Orleans Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art was founded in 1919 by Dr. Ernest Schuyten. Loyola University New Orleans’ College of Music was established when the Conservatory was incorporated into the university in 1932 with Schuyten as the first dean. He served as dean and orchestra conductor until 1953. Under Schuyten’s leadership, the college first offered a bachelor of music degree for voice or instrument. After WWII, enrollment soared, mainly bolstered by female students, which contributed greatly to Loyola’s transformation into a co-educational institution. The College of Music was first established in McDonald Hall, an old mansion on St. Charles Avenue, but as the program expanded it needed a much larger space. In 1986 the program moved into the new Communications/Music Complex at the corner of St. Charles Avenue and Calhoun Street.

Guy Bernard was a 1935 graduate of Loyola University New Orleans’ College of Music after which he immediately joined the faculty as Associate Professor of Analysis and Appreciation. He soon became a full professor and Chairman of the Departments of History and Piano under Schuyten’s leadership. Bernard went on to teach at Loyola for almost 35 years, becoming Professor Emeritus of Music in 1979.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Permission must be obtained from Special Collections & Archives and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Item], Guy Bernard Collection of Loyola University New Orleans College of Music Productions, Collection 39, Special Collections & Archives, J. Edgar & Louise S. Monroe Library, Loyola University, New Orleans.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK